Title: Food is the paramount necessity of the people -- Crop Distribution & Grain Trade in China (Excerpt)
University: Liaocheng University
Instructors: Xiao Yan, Ma Xuemei
Team leader: Li Zhenxin
Team members: Yi Zhaoqing, Yuan Xiaoning, Zhang Chunying
As the saying goes, "A country is based on the people, and food is the first necessity for the people", which shows the importance of food to us. All the countries in the world pay attention to grain production, including China. China has been an agricultural country since ancient times. With 7% of land in the world, China supports 22% population of the world, making remarkable achievements. In order to make people better understand China's ancient and modern crops distribution, production, trade and other relative aspects of crops, the team commitments to show crop distribution and grain trade in China to all Chinese people, all the Asian people and even people around the world.
The series of thematic maps are produced by using SuperMap GIS 9D series products. Different from most previous works with only one main line, these maps are made by three main lines: from the whole to the part, from ancient to modern, and from single to multiple. Although there are multiple main lines, the work does not deviate from the theme, and it is mutual connection, which is an innovation.
Review of Ancient and Modern Silk Road of Grain Trade between China and Foreign Countries (Routes in China)
1. Making classification, hierarchy is clear. There are mainly six types of maps, including the map of heaven for folk food, the planning of producing areas, the ancient grain transportation line, the current grain transportation line, the food shortage's dark, and the total food beauty. Each type of map corresponds to one or more styles, and the style is consistent with the content of the map.
2. The main tone with the theme is harmony going with diverse colors .When it comes to grain, our first reaction is grains, and most of color of these grains are yellow and green, so the main colors of the system are yellow and green.
Distribution map of grain crop growing areas in China
3. Rich content and clear expression. Through some relevant websites and papers, we have collected a lots of data and materials related to the cartographic, and added them to the map to enrich the map content.
4. By rendering map made from DEM, not only improves the ornamental value of map, but also reflects local terrain changes. For example, the silk road of grain and trade between China and foreign countries (domestic route) in ancient and modern used this kind of expression effect to beautify the map while highlighting the up and down of the road of grain and trade.
5. To improve the readability, a symbol library was built, making the map vivid.
6. Combining ancient and modern, China and other countries, mapping styles are various. In order to avoid the uniformity and visual fatigue of maps, we set up the style with the cartographic content, which enhances the interest of maps while not divorcing from the practicability of maps.
Customized Symbol Library
Overall, this series of maps has the following features:
1. The theme is based on crop and grain, and the content is comprehensive. It introduces the distribution of grain in China, the road map of grain transportation in ancient and modern times, the route of grain migration due to grain shortage, and the regional characteristic delicacies after grain production and processing. The work provides a perfect combination of ancient style and modern feeling.
2. Appealing map color and map symbols. With light yellow and light green as the color tone, the ancient color and charm of grain can give people a fresh feeling, and many exquisite symbols were made, such as different kinds of food crops, wheat, rice, etc., which enhance the expressiveness and readability of the map.
3. Application of digital elevation model (DEM). When making the ancient Silk Road for grain transportation, DEM was imported to make a three-dimensional rendering effect map, which made the map more attractive.
© 1997-2019 SuperMap Software Co., Ltd.
6/F, Building 107, No. A10, Jiuxianqiao North Road, Chaoyang District, Beijing